Sunday, February 15, 2009

The parents

What do you think of Renee and Charlie?

Wow. I think Charlie is a nice guy. I think he is set in his ways, not sure how to raise a teenager, and used to living on his own. On the other hand, I don't care much for Renee. She seems very self involved to me. I guess I can't imagine being raised by a mom that is so flighty and needs more looking after than her child. Also, the fact that while still a teenager her daughter decides to go someplace she hates rather than live with her mom and new step dad seems to hint of a not-so-desirable situation. I think she is probably very nice and loves Bella very much, but there you have it.
-Annegirl

Right on, annegirl! I agree...I think Charlie is a really good person and cares about his daughter and is glad to have her back home but because she has been gone so long he is not sure where he fits in and unsure about how to carry on conversation (and Bella is not good at that either!)...so they go their on ways at home...she to her room or whatever and he to his T.V. Renee is a flibbertigibbet (spelling??). She really doesn't seem like that great of a mom...leaving her husband with Bella and then later marrying and letting her new husband take priority over her daughter. I think she made Bella feel like she was in the way.
-Bookworm

yeah, obviously I have a really hard time with Renee. She's almost a villain to me because I have a hard time seeing any redeeming qualities to her. I guess that could be because she isn't in the story as much... maybe there will be more about her in Breaking Dawn. As of right now though the things that stick in my mind about her are: she left her husband taking his daughter with her seemingly only because she didn't like living in Forks and the small town lifestyle, Bella pretty much had to be the parent in the house taking care of her mom instead of the other way around, she creates a situation where her minor aged daughter would move away from home just so she can be with some new guy, she lets Bella go but freaks out if she doesn't email her or call her all the time, she still seems a little aloof at the end after her daughter has had a near death experience. I know she loves Bella but parents that act like teenagers and put their life before their kids have always bugged me and I guess that is how she comes across to me. Maybe I was just lucky having an amazing and present mother that put us first and was/is extremely responsible. High five bookworm!
-Annegirl

Thanks annegirl...a mother can't receive many better compliments than that!
-Bookworm

0 comments: