What changes have there been in veterinary medicine since this book?
I think there are definitely vets who still have to make "house" calls (farms and such) but it has tended to go the way of "people" medicine - you have to go to a doctor's office and get your pet taken care of. I think what would be surprising to long ago vets is how many places treat animals like human beings. We have a new pet hospital going in where the 49th Street (if any of you can remember what that was) that is pretty high tech. They have surgery, hospital stays, orthopedics, cancer care, xray, etc., pretty much what a hospital has for a person they will now have for animals. It is pretty interesting.
-Deenie Bug
I agree. I think the whole house call thing of earlier days has pretty much gone the way of the dodo bird. I also noticed that even then he was noticing that a lot of their practices were 'old fashioned' so I imagine that it would really be so now. I don't think vets use tricks to impress anymore (like the purple smokey stuff) but maybe they do.
-Annegirl
Medicine has changed so much from those days for people and animals. Better medications, procedures, and care that has made healing and care so much easier for the doctor and patient. In some little "backwards" areas some of the old practises and beliefs may still be done (as today there are still people with all our advances in medicine who will not see doctors or go to hospitals) but probably for most big changes have been made and accepted.
-Bookworm
I am woman....hear me roar.....
9 years ago
0 comments:
Post a Comment