The author, Shannon Hale, based The Goose Girl on a Grimms Brothers' fairy tale.
"I felt it was important to make the setting as close to the original tale 's setting as I could, "she has said. "I wanted it to feel like a place we know, a place that is here somewhere, but in the past, just as tales are about us but long ago. To do that, I based Bayern loosely on the Germany of old, the birthplace of the Brothers Grimm. This is not a true historical setting, but resources such as the writing of the Romanian historian Tacitus helped me build a foundation for what I hoped would be a believable and familiar world."
What details of the setting are your favorites? Why? Does it seem familiar or true to you? Why or why not? Do you think it is important for an author of fantasy to pay close attention to a setting's detail?
By the pond with the swans, in Bayern in the field with the geese, and the description of the wind. Yes, the author's descriptions color a picture in one's mind and then let our mind also paint a picture of what the author is trying to convey.
-Bookworm
I am woman....hear me roar.....
9 years ago
0 comments:
Post a Comment