Monday, January 11, 2010

The Dursleys

  1. What are your impressions of Dudley?
  2. Why do you think J.K. Rowling depicts the Dursley's as being so terrible?

3 comments:

Cheryl said...

Dudley is a spoiled, mean bully.
I think she made the Dursley's the way they are to explain how humble and soft spoken Harry is. He couldn't have much of an ego going into his little adventure as well as it made him an underdog from the beginning even though he is the famous hero of the book and everyone likes an underdog, right?

Seth and Julie said...

Oh, the Dursleys. Yuck!

They are over the top nasty, aren't they? I agree with Cheryl that it does make Harry more lovable right from the start. Do you watch those ASPCA commercials? It makes me want to go save an animal and I can't stand animals. We love to watch someone rise above the hand they were given.

Alos, the Durselys were afraid of what they didn't understand. Most people are, and most people, like the Dursleys, are happy to hide in their ignorance.

Also, I have stepparents and I know that when you are the same age as a step sibling, the natural parent feels threatened. I saw this favoritism (from my stepmom to my step sister) when I grew up. Some parents will insult and degrade another child to exalt their own. Mrs. Dursley saw Dudley's faults and Harry's strengths and it made her crazy.

The Kings said...

Dudley was a jerk...but probably because he was raised to be that way and spoiled rotten.

The Dursleys at least let Harry stay with them, provided a roof over his head (even if at first it was the cupboard under the stairs), didn't beat him. But their treatment of him was so wrong. They were afraid of the potential powers he had and didn't want anything to disturb their peaceful routine or to take any attention away from their little duddykins.