Fanny Price spends a great deal of the book sitting and waiting. We see this in particular in the chapter where they visit Mr. Rushworth's Sotherton estate. Discuss the significance of Fanny's waiting in this chapter and her waiting throughout the novel as a whole.
She waited the whole book. She waited for Edmund to notice her, for letters from her brother, for visits from her brother, for her horse, etc... I think she was so used to waiting that she wouldn't know what to do with herself if she got something first.
-Annegirl
I think all the waiting was necessary to let Austen shine in her ultra talent - which is observing human nature. We really get to know the characters through Fanny's watchful eyes. I'll reword it: Fanny waits and watches so Austen can show off her knowledge of human nature. And from what we hear about Austen's life, it sounds like she probably spent her whole life waiting as well!-Sanya the Duck
Good observation!
-Annegirl
1 comments:
Wow, Annegirl and Sanya...your comments were very good. I think you are right in that all of Fanny's waiting let a story be told through her eyes and observations. I must admit, though, that I got very frustrated with her many times thinking ...come on...do something or say something!!
Bookworm
Post a Comment