The parent/child relationships in the Gibson household and at Hamley Hall are at the emotional center of the novel. What universal stories does the novel tell about parents and their children? Which relationships did you find the most compelling or believable? What are the barriers that keep parents and children from understanding each other more completely? Do similar barriers still arise today within families?
I felt really sad that Molly and her father didn't get to hang out alone together much once he was married.
I also think it was heart wrenching to read about the relationship between Osborne and his father. I just kept wanting to yell at him to just tell his dad the truth! It makes me very aware though of how as parents we should try to make sure that although our children know our opinions of things they also know they can come to us about everything. Truth always makes things better
-Annegirl
Yes, I think barriers still exist in families depending on the dynamics of a family. Even as much as we try to be good parents there may sometimes be challenges to share ideas and feelings. In Molly's case she so loved her father but when he remarried without even talking with her about it...just telling her and getting angry at her because she was upset ...I think that really hurt her. That didn't stop her from apologizing the next day which is something her father never did to her...which I felt he should have done. And with Osborne...because his father was so open about his hate of French people and Catholics and servants he made it impossible for Osborne to share what was happening in his life. What a sorrow that put on Osbornes shoulders. He wanted to tell but felt he couldn't. Because of that he couldn't even explain his debt so his father thought he was just a good-for-nothing who was using up the family money for foolish living and who also failed at Cambridge. It took a little grandson to soften the Squires heart and feelings.
-Bookworm
I am woman....hear me roar.....
9 years ago
0 comments:
Post a Comment