Gaskell died before she finished Wives and Daughters. The manuscript ends after Roger leaves again for Africa without telling Molly how he feels. Gaskell's notes indicate that she intended to write a love scene and a happy ending for Molly and Roger upon Roger's return. Were you able to imagine the ending the way you wanted or were you disappointed with it.
If you have seen the film adaptation what did you think of the ending? Do you think she would have approved?
I think she would have approved of the ending. However, they should have had Molly and Roger kiss! But I really like the proposal scene in the rain - romantic. It was so sad that Elizabeth Gaskill died before she could actually finish it herself, though.
-Deenie Bug
I agree. I was shocked when I read the book. This was the first book that I have read by this author and so I knew nothing about her. I don't usually read introductions to books until I am done with them in case they contain spoilers so when I got to the end and it just ended and then had the follow up chapter stating what they knew about how she would have ended it you could have heard my gasp and "What?"
I loved the book though. I am planning on reading more of her books now.
-Annegirl
Here it is January 30th...last night I finished the book and tonight I read the additional info after the ending. It took so long to read it because I had to sandwich it in with a lot of other things and usually I'd get to bed to read after a busy day and then couldn't keep my eyes open for very long...but I finally did it!! It is so sad to write such a remarkable book and then die before writing the last chapter! I would have loved to have read her words at the close. I think of the ending as the one depicted in the movie...at least Molly and Roger acknowledged their love for each other openly in a rainstorm...they got married and she went with him to Africa!
-Bookworm
I am woman....hear me roar.....
9 years ago
0 comments:
Post a Comment