Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Bah humbug

Is there anything about the holidays that gives you the "Bah Humbugs"?

No! I love the holidays! I just have to work harder at not getting as stressed.
-Bookworm

Not really. Sometimes people's attitudes can make me feel that way but more often than not I feel blessed that I don't.
I had to go into Walmart the weekend before Christmas to pick up Abi's new bed that we had used the Ship to Store thing for. It's kind of a ghetto walmart so I knew going in that I am more likely to see someone being held down waiting for the police to come than to see a bunch of happy people enthralled with the Christmas spirit... but still I was surprised when I did not see one person smile the entire time I was in there. It made me feel sad for them. Everyone looked and acted so miserable that it made me wonder why they didn't have anything to be happy about so close to Christmas.
I had been cranky before I went in and that changed by the time I came out when I realized how lucky I was to be able to go home to a good husband, a beautiful daughter, a warm home, food, clothes, and presents under the tree not to mention the faith and knowledge we have in our faith as the true meaning of Christmas was no where to be found.
I also find myself feeling grateful as I hear people I know and respect talking about how they hate Christmas and Santa and all of that. I am so grateful to be able to feel the magic and wonder that is a part of it all. I think I am the anti-scrooge and I think that has everything to do with Bookworm and my dad because the holidays were so much fun at our home on the years we had a lot and on the years when we did not. It was always the same no matter what. Also, I see people around me doing so much for others and I think that should outweigh all the commercialism.
-Annegirl

Thank you for what you said...and I am so glad that our Christmas memories past and present as a family have meant so much to you!
-Bookworm

0 comments: