The author, Shannon Hale, based The Goose Girl on a Grimms Brothers' fairy tale.
"I felt it was important to make the setting as close to the original tale 's setting as I could, "she has said. "I wanted it to feel like a place we know, a place that is here somewhere, but in the past, just as tales are about us but long ago. To do that, I based Bayern loosely on the Germany of old, the birthplace of the Brothers Grimm. This is not a true historical setting, but resources such as the writing of the Romanian historian Tacitus helped me build a foundation for what I hoped would be a believable and familiar world."
What details of the setting are your favorites? Why? Does it seem familiar or true to you? Why or why not? Do you think it is important for an author of fantasy to pay close attention to a setting's detail?
I really liked the setting. I think it is fun when books have a map at the beginning like Goose Girl did so that you get a feel for the land.
My favorite thing about the setting is probably how well she described the differences between the royal and non royal homes/areas. It was very interesting.
-Annegirl
I loved the setting as well. It made me wish I lived somewhere with lots and lots of open land, and not with 100 homes per street! My favorite scene to picture is the pasture where they take the geese, with a stream nearby and the woods surrounding them. And I can totally picture the arch (where they hung poor Falada's head... that was so sad, I kept waiting to see what the catch was and how he was going to come back!)
-Sanya the Duck
I am woman....hear me roar.....
9 years ago
0 comments:
Post a Comment