Monday, February 16, 2009

Character development

Did your opinion Edward, Jacob, or Bella change while reading Eclipse?

Mine did and that is why I'm curious. It didn't change about Bella or Jacob really although this is when I really started rallying for Jacob and this is why: Edward had always been a little too easy to anger for me but I still loved him. What drove me crazy was how Bella wasn't 'allowed' to visit La Push. I know Edward felt like he was protecting her but reading how he showed up and disabled her truck in ch. 2 and followed her around, had Alice 'kidnap' her, etc drove me nuts. I hate it when guys (or anybody) is controlling like that. I know I'm known for "Don't tell me what to do" so this probably won't surprise anyone. I also had a lot of respect for Edward though during the Compromises chapter so I still like him a lot and think he's a great character but I think these were the reasons I became so drawn to Jacob.
-Annegirl

I agree - Edward was pretty controlling, almost treating Bella like a child in not allowing her to see Jacob. I think his reaction was fairly "human," although most guys would do it out of jealousy rather than out of concern for the g i r l 's safety. When you think about it, if you truly believed a friend of yours was going somewhere that they would be in real danger, and you couldn't talk them out of it, I think most people would be willing to go to extremes to try to protect them. Edward did redeem himself when he figured out that A) she was safe with Jacob, and B) that he was hurting her by acting the way he did.

The other thing that I liked about Jacob is the way he wouldn't just give in to Bella's childish demands. I loved it when he would tell her to grow up or give him a break. I wish Edward WASN'T always so willing to baby her. But what can I say - with all his flaws, my heart still belongs to Edward. ;) I hope Stephenie is good to them all in Breaking Dawn.... SATURDAY woo hoo!

-Sanya the duck


I second that! Everything you said makes sense. And I will be at Borders tomorrow night at midnight to get my copy. This will be a hard weekend for Doug and Abi.......haha
-Annegirl

I know - it might be kinder to send our families away for a few days. :)
-Sanya the duck

My opinion of Edward changed when I saw him work so hard to change antagonistic feelings about Jacob. He got to the point where he could see that Bella was safe with him, then working so hard in the alliance between the wolves and the Cullens to find a way to work together for the good of all (he actually worked harder on this than Jacob did at first), and then later seeing the feelings of love Bella had for Jacob and allowing her to search her feelings and decide between who she really wanted.
-Bookworm

That's true. He was a good sport about the Jacob thing in the end. That would have to have been really hard for him.
-Annegirl

0 comments: