Tuesday, February 17, 2009

The definition of royalty

Once in the forest, Selia's treatment of Ani becomes obviously hostile, culminating when she proclaims, "Royalty is not a right, Captain. The willingness of the people to follow a ruler is what gives her power. Here in this place, by this people, I have been chosen". do you agree with Selia's assessment? Is this action similar to those taken by others throughout history who wished to gain power over their own destinies? By the end of the story, how does Ani fit Selia's definition of royalty?

Selia's power is gained by deceit and she was chosen by deceitful and selfish people like herself. As in history, deceit and power gain rule over the common people when they have enough supporters that feel the same way and want the power and rewards such an alliance has. In the end Ani was chosen by the good and honorable people to follow her. Ani also earned her Royalty status...not only by who she was but by how she earned it!
-Bookworm

I think that it is true that people choose who to follow. If you have a ruler, be it a King/Queen or President, I don't think people will follow them for long if they don't believe in them in some way. Although sometimes I think that the people speakers get more of a following then they deserve. Some people are far too willing to listen to what someone has to say of what they will do for them and not see the truth through their lies of what kind of person/ruler they really are. I'm sure that Selia had all those men fooled that they would get something out of following her that they wouldn't have gotten under Ani. Chances are, though, that once she was in power they would have been out of luck.
(Can you tell I've got the upcoming elections on the brain.... I think I was half talking about Selia and part talking about Obama.)
-Annegirl

After reading your comment I thought that the recent campaign and election was a perfect example of the Obama plan/tactic. People talkers can convince people if they promise enough things to people who want those things without having to work for them.
-Bookworm

Selia was a pretty person and had the gift of talking to people. I agree with Bookworm you can see comparisons in the recent election. They know how to talk. Obama has the gift of talking to people and convincing them, telling them what they want to hear. I recently saw a quote but I can't remember who it was though that when you tell the truth you don't have to remember what you said. Selia lies were constantly having to be covered up. Even if there had been a war which I am glad there wasn't, Selia lies would have eventually caught up with her. It was sad that people had already lost their lives and more would have been lost. People who lie eventually forget what they have said and get caught.
-Deenie Bug

0 comments: