Monday, October 1, 2012

Personal Legend

Paulo Coelho once said that alchemy is all about pursuing our spiritual quest in the physical world as it was given to us. It is the art of transmuting the reality into something sacred, of mixing the sacred and the profane. With this in mind, can you define your Personal Legend? At what time in your life were you first able to act on it? What was your "beginner's luck"? Did anything prevent you from following it to conclusion? Having read The Alchemist, do you know what inner resources you need to continue the journey?

4 comments:

Cheryl said...

I guess I always felt like my purpose in life- my personal legend- was to be a mom. It has always been the most important priority to me.
I had Abigail when I was 28 so I guess that was when I was first able to act on it. It was beginners luck as she came quite quickly... but Maddy did too. :)
To continue the journey I have to just do my best. It is hard and sometimes I don't do the best job but I keep going just like we all do.

Holly said...

I agree with Cheryl. Family has always been the most important thing to me, either mine growing up or mine now. I always wanted to be a mom, but even before that I was a sister, daughter, niece, granddaughter, aunt, sister-in-law. They were all important to me too. So I've been able to act on them for awhile. My personal legend would just be about family I guess. All kinds. Of course, my own little family now is the most important to me. As far as inner resources, I would say they are all from the Gospel, and the help I get from the Spirit as I try to become the best mom and wife I can.

The Kings said...

I agree with you both. My Personal Legend has been to be a wife and then a mother. I wanted to be the best I could be. I fell short often but that was what was most important to me. Now that has expanded to being a grandmother and watching our family legend continuing to grow. I have also always liked speaking and teaching. The beginners luck for me in that respect was winning First Place in a contest in YM/YW when I was a teenager in a Speech Contest. My father was a great speaker and I wanted to follow in his footsteps.

Seth and Julie said...

Sorry to jump on the Mormon mommy bandwagon, but me too. I also feel very strongly that I was supposed to go on a mission. I twas never something I intended or wanted to do but the call hit me like a ton of bricks and I know it was to help me prepare to be a mother and I do feel a constant pull in my life to try to know God so I guess those are my main purposes here. And it is so true that when you first decide to do something you get that little tip of the hat from "fate" to keep you going before it gets really hard.