Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Themes

Andrew Davies believes that Wives and Daughters will appeal to today's audiences because it is a story of second families- common in the 19th century because of high death rates, common today because of divorce and remarriage. Do you agree? What other themes, conflicts, ideas in this 1866 novel have relevance for modern readers?

I think he is right. So many people have to deal with step- relations. I think it is important for people to take away from this how important it is to consider your children when re marrying because it can be a good thing or bad thing for them. I believe Molly's father really thought he was doing the right thing but he should have been more receptive and considerate of Molly's feelings. Children should always come first in these situations (in my opinion)
-Annegirl

Oops!

I'm trying to not see anything I shouldn't in your posts because I haven't read "Wives and Daughters" yet. How did everyone like it?

Let me know when the forum for Mansfield Park is up. I finished it recently (my first time!) and loved it! I've got to get to the library for the next book, it sounds like a good one!

-Sanya the Duck

Read the book sanya...it was good! It is a big book and takes awhile but is worth it! Even though times in each generation are different there are many things that are the same. Being kind, truthful, not being a gossip, the dynamics of the merging of two families, maintaining confidences, friendships and loyalty...these were important then and are important now. And I agree with annegirl that when there is death or divorce (that didn't happen so much back then) the children should always come first!

-Bookworm

Ok, I'll do it! I just finished Mount Vernon and so I have a bit of time before those questions post. Thanks for the recommendation!
-Sanya the Duck

0 comments: