Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Friendship

Friendship is a prominent theme in the novel. Select some sets of friends. What does each show about the nature of friendship? Which friendships are unexpected or surprising? Which are strongest? Why?

I was surprised by how much Molly loved Cynthia because I think I would have had the opposite reaction to her.
-Annegirl

I was surprised, too, by how much Molly loved Cynthia even when she was sorely used by Cynthia in the situation with Mr. Preston. But I think she could understand Cynthia and Molly probably was the first person Cynthia had really loved since her father died. I think she was deep-down a good person and Molly could feel that. The feeling they had of friendship and sisterhood was genuine. I also think that Roger and Osborne were friends. They loved each other and were willing to share secrets to protect Osborne and his wife and Roger loved his brother enough to help him in any way he could. The friendship between Molly and her father was so strong and that is why it was so hard for her when he married. Also, Mrs. Hamley and Molly were so close...I think it was like a mother/daughter relationship.
-Bookworm

0 comments: