I could not understand why she would be so ungracious to those who had wanted to give her a birthday party! But she tends to be very self-centered...and think more about what she is going through than what others might feel.
-Bookworm
I agree. I was glad that Edward said Look, none of us has had a real birthday since Emmets forever ago... humor us (I paraphrase) I am like Alice in that I love throwing parties and making a big deal out of things and I would feel bad if someone didn't want to let me do it or didn't let themselves enjoy it.
-Annegirl
I think she was just acting that way because she was so upset about growing older than Edward with each passing minute, and they wanted to pile all these gifts on her, but wouldn't give her what she really wanted - to become a vampire. She does seem uncomfortable with him spending money on her, and I'm not sure why, when he has so much of it. Why wouldn't she let him pay for her college if he wanted to? I guess if I had a rich boyfriend though, it would still seem wrong for him to pay for it, even if he was loaded. She probably doesn't want to appear to be "using" him, or maybe she doesn't want to feel like a charity case.
-Sanya the Duck
I think part of her problem with accepting gifts is that she has been the one to take care of everyone her whole life. Her mom, and now her dad. She has been the one to do the nice things for others, she has been a giver, and has not learned to receive yet. She doesn't know how to be in an interdependent relationship.
Also, she has always blended into the background (like at school in Arizona) she didn't stand out until she moved in with her dad, and she doesn't know how to handle being the center of attention.
That along with not wanting to get older than Edward. :)
-WendyGood point Wendy. I hadn't really thought of that aspect of it. That would be hard to suddenly be the center of attention if you weren't used to it. Now gifts from a rich boyfriend, I could handle! But I can understand feeling uncomfortable with too much attention.
-Sanya the Duck
I've wondered that too. Now that I'm married with a kid and house payment and bills I think "take the money!" but probably when I was 18 I wouldn't have done it either. It is a good thing that she doesn't just want him to be her sugar daddy.
-Annegirl
I agree with Sanya. Every year she gets older means she's closer to dying and being away from Edward. All she wants is to become a vampire.
-Stampin_Maniac
0 comments:
Post a Comment