What do you like/dislike about the final showdown between the united vampire clans and the Volturi? Were the Volturi defeated or did they just make a tactical retreat, which means they might still be a threat?
I liked Bella's power. I thought that was really cool.
I wanted there to be a fight. I wanted them to destroy the Volturi. The fight scenes in the other books have been great and so the anticipation for this one built it up to be amazing.
I thought Jacob was going to take off to Isle Esme and that Alice and Jasper would be there to explain why they went away and then at the end Edward and Bella and the other Cullens would come in and be reunited... I don't know why I kept imagining it ending that way during the build up.
So, when nothing came of it I was disappointed. But I do understand it. Stephenie says that the books that were her inspiration for this one were A Midsummer Nights Dream and Merchant of Venice. In the latter I guess something happens at the end like this where they are able to solve their problem peacefully. I haven't read it. She says that if they had fought that there would have been so many casualties and that it would have been more like Hamlet with everyone dead. She wanted it to end nicely.
I guess you can say she loved her character so much that she didn't want to kill them off. I can understand that.
That said, I was disappointed that there was no fight and the Volture weren't taken down but I can understand why she didn't have it end that way. It was kind of anti-climatic though. I think the Volturi only left to save face. I wouldn't rule them out as trying to come back if she does any other books. They would have to have a real reason I guess but I think it's been made plain that they don't like having another coven that rivals theirs in power and size... so...
-Annegirl
Bella's power was really great - I loved the part where she made a face and taunted Jane. But I was surprised that there wasn't more of a fight, especially when the Volturi were grasping at straws just trying to find an excuse to destroy them. But Bella's power made that impossible. It was refreshing that she wasn't a liability for a change! I was sad that the informer was killed, but I guess if she wouldn't have killed anyone, it would've been very anti-climatic (even more).
-Sanya the Duck
I thought for sure there was going to be a big battle...I just hoped that the Cullens and witnesses would be able to defeat the Volturi. But I thought that even if they did they would still lose good people...like Esme and Carlisle and maybe even Edward. In fact, I was worried that the Volturi would be defeated but that Bella and Edward would both die. But Bella's power protected all the Cullen side until negotiations were completed and Nahuel was presented. If it had been up to Caius there would have been a battle no matter what. Aro was playing mind games, too. But in the end I think Aro was convinced that what they were doing or going to do was wrong...and I believe that he was also finding out that the powers combined against them were stronger and he was afraid.
-Bookworm
I am woman....hear me roar.....
9 years ago
0 comments:
Post a Comment