A turn of the century review described Mrs. Jennings as a character it is "equally delightful to have met on paper and not have met in the flesh". Why is it delightful to spend time reading about a character who would be tedious in person? Might a character be every bit as tedious on paper as in person? Can you think of examples in this or other books?
Ohhhh yeah.. it is funny how I think Mrs. Jennings is funny on paper (and even in film) but she would drive me nuts in person with her constant teasing, etc. I was thinking of someone that I would hate in person that I also hated on paper and the first person that came to mind was Prof. Umbridge in Harry Potter and the order of the phoenix. She was one of the first characters I ever read that had me so emotionally charged and angry. So, although the story wouldn't be complete without her she is just as horrible in the book!
-Annegirl
i totally agree with you about prof. umbridge. she really is the only person i have truly hated in any book.
-Keddy-Weddy
Yeah, I was hoping for a violent end for Professor Umbridge every time I read about her! But now that I've read The Host, the Seeker is right up on the list too! Sharon & her mom really bugged me too, but since she didn't write in depth about them, I didn't have the loathing for them that I did for the Seeker.
-Sanya the Duck
She is a nosy, teasing, gossiping woman who would, I feel, be very bothersome. But I think between the lines one finds caring and a willingness to try to do kindness to those she likes and loves. She likes to be in the center of things. Even though she was so annoying I think she was well liked in the end.
-Bookworm
I think you are right. She did have a good heart and wanted everyone to be happy.
-Annegirl
I am woman....hear me roar.....
9 years ago
0 comments:
Post a Comment