Sunday, February 15, 2009

Willoughby

Before his duplicity is revealed is John Willoughby an appealing character?Why? how does Austen reveal his charms and hint at his defects? What does Willoughby's opinion of Colonel Brandon- that he dislikes him for "threatening me with rain when I wanted it to be fine"- reveal about him? At the end of the book does he seem a changed man? Would you have let him in if you had been Elinor?

I thought that he was appealing. My problem came in the fact that I had already seen the movie so I couldn't be completely duped by him. But the first time I saw the movie I was. He comes across passionate and fun and well read- all things that would appeal to me. And being that I am much like Marianne I am sure I would have fallen for him as well. But while reading (or seeing the movie) I was startled by his opinion of Col. Brandon although it could be that he was just insecure knowing that he was also in love with Marianne. But it seemed to hint of an unkind side to him that I would not find appealing. He did seem a little changed at the end but not enough to satisfy me into liking him or feeling sorry for him. I probably would have turned him away if I had been Elinor. I wouldn't hate him or be mean, I would have just been like, "She's alive. It's nice of you to be concerned. Good day."
-Annegirl

I have also seen the movie so knew what kind of a man he. But at first you see a good looking man with money and with a happy personality (though I didn't like the way he talked about the Colonel) and all that seemed to have him enjoy the felicities of life! But then the truth comes out as he treats Marianne so poorly in London and then they find out what he truly is and has done. Money more than honor was his code. Just the fact that he had gotten another girl with child and ran from that was horrible. The fact that his Aunt offered him the estate if he would marry that girl but he still wouldn't shows what a blackard he was. I would have listened to his story and excuses to try to find out what he had done and why but than would have asked him to leave and never see them again. It took a lot of guts for him to even come after all he had done to them and others.
-Bookworm

0 comments: