Sunday, February 15, 2009

Craziness

Did anyone else feel like they were on acid while reading this?

Every time I put the book down, I would say to Brent that Lewis Carroll was high when he wrote it.
-Stampin_Maniac

In reading a short bit about the author, I read that Mr. Carroll (the pen name of Charles Lutwidge Dodgson) who was a mathematics professor at Oxford and amateur photographer, created the original Alice stories to amuse a young friend and her sisters on an outing. After reading that information and reading "Alice..." I feel like he was making up a story as he went (like our family used to do on trips in the car...someone starts out with a few lines and then the next adds to it and the next...it could go in strange directions!) adding strange events and characters and riddles and plays on words just to keep it interesting... not really knowing where it would end. So I think it was a lot of made-up and...topsy-turvey (like our dreams can be). However, when first reading it I certainly wondered if he might be on "drugs"! In early England many use to snuff cocaine (you see them in movies with their snuff boxes taking a pinch) so it could be he was on something. The story surely doesn't make a whole lot of sense and the characters do admit to being "mad". Oh, and then, as I said in another reply, there is the pot-smoking Caterpillar. It does make one speculate!
-Bookworm

I did not know that was what was in snuff boxes. How did I not know that? That is crazy. Well, maybe he was high then. I just felt like I was. Ha. I think that is really interesting how he was just making it up for some kids. I know he based it on a girl named Alice Liddell (I think). That kind of reminds me of the Rudolph story.
-Annegirl

I believe that is the name of a book that I read not too long ago. It is the story of Alice. After years of fighting she gets kicked out of Wonderland. She tells her story to Charles Lutwidge Dodgson and he twists the story all around. It is a very interesting book. One to put on your reading list.
-Stampin_Maniac

0 comments: