Monday, January 11, 2010

Room 101

Discuss the idea of Room 101, the place where everyone meets his or her worst fear. Keeping in mind that for most of Winston’s time at the Ministry of Love, he does not know what he will find in Room 101, what role does that uncertainty play in making Room 101 frightening? Does the cage of rats break Winston’s spirit, or does it merely play a symbolic role?

3 comments:

Cheryl said...

Room 101 is actually quite brilliant if you want to torture someone. Since every one has different fears and some people could take different things better than others it makes sense to cater to each persons fears. It's pretty terrible.

The Kings said...

By the time Winston got to Room 101 he has been broken down so much and so worn out and mentally at the breaking point so his greatest fear becomes something that catches him at his worst.

Seth and Julie said...

I think the uncertainty about room 101 is huge. I even find myself getting a little anxious for Winston to get sent there just to get the uncertainty out of the way, and I have read this book several times.

I think they use yor greatest fear to completely break you down, because fear is the opposite of faith. Once Winston gave everything over to that fear, he lost his faith. He betrayed even his feelings to his fear, and at that point he lost faith in his ability to fight, and overcome.