Monday, January 11, 2010

Doublethink

Discuss the idea of doublethink. How important is doublethink to the Party’s control of Oceania? How important is it to Winston’s brainwashing?

3 comments:

The Kings said...

With Doublethink you can easily talk yourself out of whatever you were thinking and going to do. You have no incentive to do big things.

Seth and Julie said...

Doublethink is the craziest thing ever. The ability to know you are lying to yourself, and somehow still find a way to believe it. That is scary! It is so important to the Party's success though, because it gives them complete control.

Winston's brainwashing is a huge victory for the Party, because he truly was incapable of Doublethink before they got to him. It made them feel invincible and somehow "right". If he could have withstood them, they would have been forced to see a flaw in their system. He could have begun to break them down, even if just a little bit.

I sometimes wondered why they didn't just kill him and eliminate the "problem", but with the Party it was not about getting rid of traitors, but making them conform. If they could make everyone love Big Brother, they could validate their insane beliefs.

Cheryl said...

I think you're right Julie. It is a much bigger success for them if they can change someone's viewpoints and control them than to just kill off those who think differently.
To a lesser extreme you see this all around us. Most of us aren't satisfied to 'agree to disagree'. Everyone seems to want to change others beliefs and opinions.
I have been guilty of that politically I think. But a good example of this, I think, is religion. So many people aren't satisfied to just share what they believe and learn about others - they want to argue about it.