Monday, January 11, 2010

Images and Ideas

1984 is full of images and ideas that do not directly affect the plot, but nevertheless attain thematic importance. What are some of these symbols and motifs, and how does Orwell use them?

2 comments:

The Kings said...

The only thing I can think of right now is the images of war...bombs and threats of front-line battles - threats to their country...and people just vanishing or being "blown up".

Seth and Julie said...

The paperweight with the corral inside of it. Little pieces of a world that once was, the only strands of hope left. They added a sadness and desperation to the story.

The poem about the church bells. As more and more people knew the words, you realized that other people remembered another world, and still chose to follow the Party. All of these sad things that remind you of a dying civilization.

When I see ancient artifacts and ruins, I become deeply saddened and curious. These artifacts and remnants of the past had the same effect on me.