Monday, January 11, 2010

Surprise results

In Chapter Nine, Harry disobeys a direct order from one of the teachers at the Hogwarts School and takes off on a broom. This infraction is normally cause for expulsion from the school. However, in Harry's case, it brings him the honor of being chosen as the "Seeker" for his Quidditch team. Can you find other instances in the story where Harry's actions lead to quite opposite results from what is expected? To what extent is the book's plot advanced by such surprise turns of events?

2 comments:

Seth and Julie said...

I think that is why people loved or hated Harry. He got away with more, sometimes. He also had more on his shoulders and was always in more danger than anyone else. I can think of examples from later books, but I won't jump ahead. Even though Harry seems in some ways to be the golden boy, there are many times where he is punished more harshly than other students in detentions and such too, again I won't expound because the examples in my head are from later books.

The Kings said...

His disobedience generally results in finding information or doing things that end up saving peoples lives and protecting Hogwarts. going to find Snape when he feels he is tryig to get the Sorcerer's Stone was breaking rules but it saved the day. Saving Hermione from the troll resulted from he and Ron breaking an order.