I think that our government would love nothing more than to control everything about our lives. They make stuff up all the time to put through the media so that people will do what they want them to do. I don't think Obama could ever have become president if the media didn't do this. That said, thankfully it isn't the way it is in the book.
I think there are people and organizations that are trying to do just that. They want control over everyone. The media tries to control thinking and opinion by "news" and polls. Obama wants to run everything from banks to healthcare. And Senators and Congressmen and women sell their votes. I know there are good people out there...but if freedom becomes something unimportant then we stand the chance of losing it...just like in 1984. Many people would like to have people take care of them and make all their decisions. Those are candidates for a 1984 scenario.
There are so many things in 1984 that are eerily similar to today. Now I wonder if the government is spying on me through my TV and reading my blog. I think we are definitely losing our privacy with all the technological advancements today.
I even see my kids come home and say political things that I did not teach them, and do not believe. Seth always laughs and says they are being indoctrinated. It is funny, and yet so not funny. I don't remember being told what political views to have as a child, but they are feeding them the Kool-Aid in school these days. Scary!
I don't remember ever being fed anything political or religious in school either. They are starting so young too. I remember a month or so ago in Relief Society a woman was saying that her children came home spouting all sorts of lies about Christopher Columbus and she was really mad and sat down with the kid telling them the truth. I told my sister about it because we were talking about her teenage daughter's school and she said that her daughter had come home saying the EXACT same things. That was crazy to me. It wasn't just this teacher's opinion... it was obviously something that is now in lesson plans. Sometimes I seriously consider home schooling.
We are a group of sisters, mothers, daughters, cousins, aunts, grandmothers, and friends coming together because of our shared love of reading.
Annegirl
Favorite books are the Anne series and Emily series by L.M Montgomery, the Harry Potter series by JK Rowling, Timeline and Jurassic Park by Michael Crichton,just about everything by Shannon Hale (especially Goose Girl and Book of A Thousand Days), the Fablehaven series by Brandon Mull, the Eragon series by Christopher Paolini, the Hunger Games trilogy and Gregor series by Suzanne Collins, the Mortal Instruments series by Cassandra Clare, and Leviathan series by Scott Westerfeld. I add to my favorites list all the time!
Bookworm
Favorite books include Gone With the Wind, the Harry Potter series, Pride and Prejudice, Emma, Persuasion, Sense and Sensibility, Hunt for Red October, The Patriarch (George Washington), Those Who Love, and The Presidents Lady
Stampin_Maniac
Favorite books are the Twilight series, any by Mary Higgins Clark, Outlander by Diana Gabaldon, autobiographies, and The Work and the Glory series.
Julie
Favorite books include...East of Eden and all other John Steinbeck works, 1984, The Hunchback of Notre Dame, Les Miserables, Anna Karenina, Rebecca, A Tree Grows in Brooklyn, Memoirs of a Geisha, Charlotte's Web (and lots of other children's fiction novels)
Holly
Favorite books include Emma, the Harry Potter series, The Little Prince, Taming of the Shrew, Ender's Game, To Kill a Mockingbird, the Twilight series, A Christmas Carol, The Chronicles of Narnia, The Help, The Hunger Games, The Screwtape Letters, OPJB, and all of Bill Peet's children's books.
Deenie Bug
Favorite books are The Quicksilver Pool, Jane Eyre, Persuasion, Pride and Prejudice, Moonraker's Bride, Window on the Square, The Secret Garden, Harry Potter series, Lord of the Rings, and Agatha Christie books.
Wendy
Favorite books are A Tree Grows in Brooklyn, Oh the places you'll go, 1776, Little Women, Persuasion, The Chronicles of Narnia, Anne of Green Gables, Little House, Christy, and A Lantern in her hand
BreeAnn
Favorite books are To Kill A Mockingbird, Little House on the Prairie, The Notebook, Twilight series, Jane Eyre, Little Women, The Work and the Glory series, anything by Mary Higgins Clark, and A child called it.
Sanya the Duck
Favorite books are Pride and Prejudice, The Good Earth, The Count of Monte Cristo, Harry Potter series, Twilight series, Anne of Green Gables, These is my Words, The Chronicles of Narnia, the Work and the Glory series, and The Kingdom and the Crown series.
Keddy-Weddy
G-Mama
Favorite books are Matilda, Pride and Prejudice, Rebecca, The Hiding Place, The Outsiders, Dealing with Dragons series, Twilight series, The Lord of the Rings series, The Thirteenth Tale, and Emily of New Moon
Stephanie
Favorite books include The Twilight series
Mel
Hare_Bear
Favorite books are the Twilight series and the Harry Potter series
4 comments:
I think that our government would love nothing more than to control everything about our lives.
They make stuff up all the time to put through the media so that people will do what they want them to do.
I don't think Obama could ever have become president if the media didn't do this.
That said, thankfully it isn't the way it is in the book.
I think there are people and organizations that are trying to do just that. They want control over everyone. The media tries to control thinking and opinion by "news" and polls. Obama wants to run everything from banks to healthcare. And Senators and Congressmen and women sell their votes. I know there are good people out there...but if freedom becomes something unimportant then we stand the chance of losing it...just like in 1984. Many people would like to have people take care of them and make all their decisions. Those are candidates for a 1984 scenario.
There are so many things in 1984 that are eerily similar to today. Now I wonder if the government is spying on me through my TV and reading my blog. I think we are definitely losing our privacy with all the technological advancements today.
I even see my kids come home and say political things that I did not teach them, and do not believe. Seth always laughs and says they are being indoctrinated. It is funny, and yet so not funny. I don't remember being told what political views to have as a child, but they are feeding them the Kool-Aid in school these days. Scary!
I don't remember ever being fed anything political or religious in school either. They are starting so young too.
I remember a month or so ago in Relief Society a woman was saying that her children came home spouting all sorts of lies about Christopher Columbus and she was really mad and sat down with the kid telling them the truth.
I told my sister about it because we were talking about her teenage daughter's school and she said that her daughter had come home saying the EXACT same things. That was crazy to me. It wasn't just this teacher's opinion... it was obviously something that is now in lesson plans.
Sometimes I seriously consider home schooling.
Post a Comment