Monday, January 11, 2010

Recommendation?

Would you recommend this novel to a friend?

7 comments:

Cheryl said...

I would because I think it was very interesting and well written but I would make sure to tell them that it's not a 'fun' read so they would know what they were getting into when they opened it up.
I found it quite depressing and hard to read at times and the ending was just so sad.
It really makes you think though.

CS Fenn said...

Annegirl, so sorry to have been MIA for so long... I am too busy for my own good. Hope to be back for January's book (since I've already read it!) thanks for all your hard work to keep this going for us! you're great! Hope things are going well for you... sanya the duck

Seth and Julie said...

Holy Cow, where have I been? I have actually not missed any of the books (except for Persuasion) but I have failed to comment.

I quit checking for new questions while you were gone for the summer and I meant to come back in and post about The Count of Monte Cristo, which I loved. It was not what I thought it would be at all. Now it is no longer fresh in my mind and I wonder if I can come up with any commentary. And A Little Princess, which was okay but a little too reminiscent of The Secret Garden to me.

I should be able to come up with some comments for HP though, and for 1984. This one was my pick and it is way up on my list of favorite books EVER written. It is insightful and well written. I actually think it is a fun book to read, not in a happy fun way, but in a more literary way. I love when people think deep and know how to use words. I also think the story is fascinating. I read it every year and can't put it down. It is a true literary gem in my book (how cheesy that I used the word book there.) Thanks for letting me pick.

Cheryl said...

In your book. Hahaha. Just kidding.
That's why I love this book club Julie. We all have such different tastes in literature and we get such a wide variety of books to read. I love that I now have a year and a half's worth of books read in pretty much all genre's and have read so many of them that I might not have otherwise read.
Orwell is very deep and this was obviously an example of as you said, "literary gem". I just mean 'fun' as in a happy fun.

The Kings said...

It is not a book I would tell people to be sure and read. I found it very depressing and sad because in this world we need hope to cling to and when that is gone what else can one have? I kept hoping Winston and Julia would keep fighting and somehow be able to join others in the cause to find truth and freedom...I felt like it might be just around the corner for them. But in the end there was NOTHING.

Seth and Julie said...

I know I already said yes to this question, but now that I am back answering the rest of the questions, I will endorse 1984 one more time.

I know it is not a happy, hopeful story, but I love books that make me think. It makes me see how hard we have to fight for who we are and what we believe. It reminds me not to be complacent. It stirs deep feelings in me, and wakes up my brain. I love that. I love books that make me want to go out and read more books, and think harder.

I have a hopeful, faithful personality and I admit that every time I read 1984, I turn to the last page hoping the last four words will be DOWN WITH BIG BROTHER. If I'd written it, it may have been that way. I want to believe that in spite of everything Winston could still hold true to what he knew. But, I understand the point that Orwell is trying to make about the power of the government in our lives. It is not a hopeful ending, but it makes me want to rise up against the machine in my time, and THAT is hopeful.

Cheryl said...

That's true Julie that maybe reading something like this makes those who read it less likely to just sit back and let it happen.
If we want so much to have Winston fight against Big Brother than maybe we will be more likely to do it ourselves.