Monday, January 11, 2010

Newspeak

Can you find any examples of Newspeak in our contemporary language?

4 comments:

Cheryl said...

Politically correct?

The Kings said...

That is just what I was going to say! One has to speak "politically correct" or else!

Seth and Julie said...

Newspeak reminds me of the dumbing down of Society that is going on in our current time. Kids are not encouraged to read and expand their vocabulary like they once were. Newspeak reminds me of text messaging, where everything is reduced to letters and abbreviations. We have so many resources (spell check, internet, etc.) that we are not encouraged to think and expand our intelligence. Many schools are not even teaching cursive anymore because we don't "need" it. When we reduce instead of expand our knowledge it is dangerous.

Cheryl said...

Not teaching cursive? Seriously? That is crazy.
I have noticed the dumbing down though. In some ways they have a lot more work than we did because I hardly ever had homework before jr. high besides reading and projects and now it seems like they have so much busy work to do at home. They also seem to be starting subjects earlier than they did when we were young... but I think you are right that they don't make it as hard as it needs to be.
I think that the no child left behind thing is an important idea but so often you hear of it being done the wrong way- you can't fail a kid or you get in trouble, etc.