Monday, January 11, 2010

Harry's advantages/disadvantages

What are the advantages to Harry not having known how special he is before he starts school? Disadvantages? What are some of the instances when Harry acts more like a bumbling Muggle than a great wizard?

3 comments:

Cheryl said...

I think there are many advantages for Harry. If he had known how important and famous he was than maybe he would have been more like Draco or Dudley than the boy he is.
The disadvantages would be that he doesn't know much about the history of magic or spells so he has to learn everything the way the muggle children do.

Seth and Julie said...

I love that Harry doesn't know who he is until he gets ready to go to Hogwarts. It allows him to be humble and authentic. I agree, he may have become more pompous like Draco had he known, although his parents were nothing like the Malfoys so I think he would have still been a kind soul, just with an inflated head.

I also love that he has to learn wizarding from scratch. He has to work hard to become who he is called to become, and I think we learn more and appreciate what we have more when we learn it hands on, with hard work.

The Kings said...

The advantage (if one can call living with the Dursleys an advantage???) is that he got to grow up a normal kid without the pressures of the wizard world and the "mission" he would have to perform in the battle against Voldemort. When he was older and survived the hardships of the Dursleys he was better equipped to face the biggest battles of his life.