skip to main |
skip to sidebar
The author has more than a little bit of fun with names in this story. For example, the Professor of Herbology is Professor Sprout, and even the authors of the textbooks Harry must study are puns and riddles. Can you find other examples of this wordplay and show how the names reflect the characteristics of their owners? What about names that are the opposite of what you'd expect? — for example, the huge, terrifying three-headed dog named Fluffy? What effect do you think the author achieves with this name?
3 comments:
I think that is fun in her stories how she uses word play for just about everything. Also, you'd expect the hero to have some great name and yet his name is so ordinary.
The playful names are fun, but I love that she gave Harry a total ordinary name.
I went on an LDS mission and more than once when I would teach people about Joseph Smith they would tell me they could probably believe it if his name hadn't been so ordinary. After hearing about visions and gold plates and angels, their hang up was a boy's name.
Another example of how we can all become great, and are all called to do something. It is not in our name, or our bloodline, or our wallet. It comes from somewhere where none of those things are relevant.
I think Fluffy must have been named by Hagrid. The most hideous creatures were given soft and cuddly names by him because he loved them so and they did not pose a danger or threat to him. When I see the name Professor Quirrell I think of the word "squirrel" (sorry you cute little critters!)and see some guy who is not a strong enough person to be good or bad by himself so is willing to submit to taking on someone elses personna on the back on his head to be at his bidding to do evil.
Post a Comment