Monday, January 11, 2010

Harry and Voldemort

When Harry chooses his wand on Diagon Alley, he finds that the one right for him is the companion wand to the one sold long ago to Voldemort. Why does Rowling choose to emphasize a curious affinity between Harry and his great enemy, Voldemort?

3 comments:

Cheryl said...

If I had only read the first book I wouldn't know but since I have read the whole series many times I know that their connection comes into play many times throughout the series.

Seth and Julie said...

I have actually always loved this part of the story. Harry and Voldemort were both very powerful and destined to do great things. Harry channeled his power for the good. Voldemort let power destroy him. He chose not to rise above his circumstances, but became angry and greedy. I think that is a theme in all of our lives. What do we do with the gifts we have been given?

Choosing companion wands was just brilliant! Voldemort could have been great, and that is the great tragedy in this series, to me.

The Kings said...

I think the Wand seller, Mr. Ollivander, tells Harry that he has the twin wand of the one Voldemort bought and that he had great powers but terrible. Some of Voldemort's power was transferred to Harry when he got the scar given when Mr V. tried to kill him. So there is that connection but, as Julie said, Mr. V. chose his power for evil and Harry chose his for good.