Sunday, January 17, 2010

Charity

What effect does Fauntleroy's charitable nature have on the Earl- or more specifically, on the things that the Earl does? How do other people view Fauntleroy's deeds, and how does this differ from their opinion of the Earl's actions?

2 comments:

Cheryl said...

It has a great effect. Even though at first all the charitable acts are only because of Cedric I think that the Earl recognizes how the people love Cedric so much because of them and how they are beginning to think differently of him.
That was the reason I really loved this book. It was obviously written for kids and so wasn't very 'deep' but I think it taught a message that all of us can use and made me think. That would be that if we treat someone as if they are a certain way they may become that person.
In the book everyone hates and fears the Earl because he is a mean tyrant of a man.. but when Cedric comes along he believes that the Earl is the kindest most generous man in the world and because he believes this of the Earl, the Earl wants to become that person. I think if we could all remember to look for the good in everyone and treat them as if that is who they are then it would help everyone to strive to be that person that they can be.

The Kings said...

I love what you said, Cheryl. That is how I felt. That Cedric was always talking about how wonderful his grandfather was because of all the good Cedric was able to do because of him. And he even gives all the credit to his grandfather when others thank him for his good deeds. It was wonderful to watch the Earl change as love and goodness comes into his life and he sees how so many love his grandson and how proud he is of Cedric. Another thing I love is that Dearest never spoke bad about the Earl to Cedric as she didn't want to prejudice him in any way and wanted to have her son have a good relationship with him in spite of the sacrifice she would have being away from her little boy.