Monday, January 11, 2010

Central purpose

What is the central/primary purpose of the story? Is the purpose important or meaningful?

4 comments:

Cheryl said...

I think it's purpose is to make the reader aware of the brainwashing and control that could happen. As you read it you think (or at least I did) that it would be so easy to overturn the Big Brother establishment if everyone would just ban together to do it. And yet with all the brainwashing and fear I don't know if enough people would have gotten knowingly involved.
It's scary.

The Kings said...

To show us what could happen if we become to complacent and take our freedoms for granted. I think he was trying to scare the heck out of us!:)

Seth and Julie said...

I agree, he wanted to shake the world awake. I see it today, where we are being told what to believe. Only certain opinions will be tolerated. I see leaders who want to create a society of their own design, and I see danger up ahead. I see the younger generations unquestioningly following every trend before them. I feel like we are discouraged from questioning and learning. Less and less people are paying attention to the politics of a candiate and more and more people are just following with adoring eyes.

Cheryl said...

Yeah, like with this last election. I was watching this guy on youtube that went outside a few voting places and was asking people of all ages, races, and backgrounds questions as they came out.
He had a bunch of quotes from Obama, McCain, Palin, and Biden and was asking them who said them. Everyone thought the really crazy, dumb, and ridiculous ones were Palin. Every single one of them was either Obama or Biden. They were all shocked.
Then they were asking young people who they voted for and why and more often than not they didn't know what that person stood for.It was startling.