Monday, January 11, 2010

Dumbledore's knowledge

At the end of Harry’s adventures, when the Sorcerer’s Stone has been safely destroyed, Dumbledore reveals to Harry that he devised the Mirror of Erised in the knowledge that Harry would succeed where Voldemort would fail. This admission raises the question of whether Dumbledore orchestrates other parts of Harry’s adventures too. Does he know, for instance, that the troll will be let into Hogwarts, and does he foresee Harry’s defeat of the troll? Is it possible that Dumbledore has a godlike foreknowledge of the whole story from beginning to end?

3 comments:

Cheryl said...

I don't think Dumbledore knows everything that is going to happen but I think he is good at predicting how things will turn out and how people will react.

Seth and Julie said...

I don't think he is omniscient. He is wise though, and he is guiging Harry in the way he needs to go. I think that becomes most apparent in book 6. I think it was Dumbledore's mission to help Harry.

The Kings said...

He knows that Harry is the one that must destroy Voldemort but can't give him all that information at once. I think he does know what Harry has to do and lets him face challenges along the way to help him gain trust in himself and strength as he meets and overcomes each test that is preparing him for the final exam! But Dumbledore seems always to be in the background just in case Harry need a hand.