Wednesday, October 2, 2013

The O'Haras

What are your thoughts on Scarlett's father Gerald? And the rest of her family?

3 comments:

Cheryl said...

Her mother is made out to be a saint but I don't know much about her. Her sisters were diverse. The one being religious, the other as selfish as Scarlett. Actually I think she was more selfish than Scarlett.
It really bothered me when Scarlett was making herself do all sorts of things she didn't want to and her sister wouldn't help.
I liked Gerald for the most part. I felt so bad when he was changed so much after Ellen's death.
I think he would have probably wanted to die the way he did and would have been glad to be with Ellen again.

Seth and Julie said...

I thought Gerald was strong, like Scarlett, but he did have a breaking point because he had allowed himself to be weak where Ellen was concerned. It was sad to see him lose his strength but Scarlett missed so much because she never learned to let herself to tap in to that emotional side. Ellen was perfect on the surface and committed herself fully to her family but she had her own skeletons and it was sad that Gerald thought she was the moon and stars and she did not seem to have that deeper love for him. I think maybe Scarlett got the more hardened parts of each of them, the boldness of Gerald and the ability to suppress her real feelings from Ellen.

The Kings said...

Gerald was full of life and robust. He had worked hard to get his plantation and build it. It was sad when Ellen died and his "light went out". Ellen was a kind and Christian woman who had experienced heartache but who tried to be the best wife she could when she accepted Gerald's had in marriage. Scarlett was "in love with herself" but was an amazing and strong person that carried the family and others when no one else could or would. Suellen was a brat and very selfish girl and Careen was a gentle and kind girl, alot like her mother.