Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Silly

Scarlett asks Mammy why a woman has to act silly to get a husband. Are there any women in the book that don't act silly around the men?

3 comments:

Cheryl said...

Melanie didn't seem to act silly. She was serious and quiet. But the other girls all seemed to.

Seth and Julie said...

I agree that Melanie didn't act silly but she certainly put on the proper performance that was expected of women. One thing I liked about Scarlett was that she was not afraid to break the mold. She said what she wanted, did what she wanted and wore what she wanted around men. She did act silly but she did it intentionally and with a purpose in mind. I didn't like that she was so manipulative but I liked that she did not conform.

The Kings said...

The way girls were expected to act around men to catch them was pretty ridiculous but that was the norm at that time. Melanie wasn't of that mold. She acted the way she felt was proper but still had her own mind about how things should be. Scarlett just did what she wanted and "fiddle dee dee" with the norms.