Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Race

What are your thought on race in the book? There are the characters like Mammy and Pork who think they are better than the field slaves and the "white trash". What do you think of the relationships between the slaves and Scarlett?

2 comments:

Cheryl said...

I thought it was really interesting.
I read the parts of the fall of Atlanta and the way it was as they built the city back up out loud to Doug.
I had never really thought about what it would have been like for all of these men and women and children that had been slaves all of their lives. How it would have felt to know one thing and then be thrust out to figure out a different way.
It HAD to happen. There is nothing about slavery that makes it okay.
But you usually just think of the people that escaped and helped others escape or the people that were treated horribly and would have been so glad to be free.
You don't think often of the people that may have not wanted to be free or to leave their families or the people that wanted it but didn't know what to do with their freedom.
I found it very interesting to see the other side.

Seth and Julie said...

Interesting for sure, to see a different side of the issue. I was disgusted by how they could seem to love and accept the slaves as part of their families and still say horribly demeaning things about them. They took care of them but treated them as inferior and not quite human. It was awful to read and awful that the slaves would feel more comfortable in some cases with these families than on their own. I am sure they came to love those that they served but it is so sad that they felt so lost because they had never been allowed to focus on their own lives or families. This was all they knew.