Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Melanie

Scarlett was surprised by at least two things about Melanie: 1) When she helped her with the Yankee soldier that she had killed and 2) when she realized at the end that she did care for her.

She has looked at Melanie as weak. Do you think Melanie was weak or strong? Do you think that she really didn't know about Scarlett and Ashley? Why do you think she cared so much for Scarlett?

3 comments:

Cheryl said...

I think she was strong.
She pulled through so many things.
She was weak of body but I think she was strong of spirit and courage.
I don't think she knew about Scarlett and Ashley because of the fact that they said so many times that she could never think bad of those she loved.
I think she loved scarlett because she was her sister and she really believed that she had loved Charles.
Also she believed Scarlett took care of her and her son because she was loyal and good . I don't think she knew that she only did it for Ashley.

Seth and Julie said...

She was much stronger than Scarlett, because she did not fight for things, she fought for people. She loved and she was loyal. I think that even if she did have some idea of the nature of Scarlett and Ashley's relationship, she would have never been disloyal to either of them. I think it was easy for her to love Scarlett because I think she could always see that they were best friends and fought faithfully for one another. It was true for both of them. Scarlett just couldn't see it.

The Kings said...

Melanie was strong but probably came across as weak as she was soft-spoken and timid. But she showed courage in giving birth and then getting pregnant again at risk to her life, grabbing the sword when the Yankee soldier came to Tara, working hard as she could when she was so weak, going along with Rhett and his ruse when Ashley had been shot, standing strong and not letting her pride and beliefs be compromised, talking with and taking money from Belle Watling when others would not, defending Scarlett (and Ashley) when accusations had been made, helping Rhett when he was so down with Scarlett losing the baby and when Bonnie died, and turning over the care of her son and her husband to Scarlet when she knew she was dying.