Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Scarlett and the other girls

It is clear early on that Scarlett has never had many girl friends, if any. Why do you think she doesn't get along with other women?

4 comments:

Cheryl said...

I think it is probably because she doesn't care to be friends with them. She likes the boys and is a tremendous flirt.
I was surprised that I could relate to her in some ways. This was one of them.
I have always had more boy friends than girl friends.
If somebody had written a book about me as a seventeen year old I would have looked every bit as flirty and boy crazy as she was... minus the not caring if they were hurt.
I think she could have thought more about other girls feelings and not have flirted with the men who were supposed to be taken.

Cheryl said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Seth and Julie said...

I also relate to her in this way, to some degree. I could never understand the games girls play, and the things they care to talk about and the ways they get all emotional and catty, so I always hung out with guys until I got married anyway. I think she just couldn't relate. She liked being the southern belle but also saw past it. However, I do not relate to how she would steal people's boyfriends and she was certainly catty in her own way so I think she also didn't have girl friends because she burned a lot of bridges.

The Kings said...

Because she was the "belle of the ball" and all the boys flocked around her and loved being with her and doting on her it made the others girls very jealous. They were always afraid that she would steel their beaus. I think she did have a few girls she got along with (Cathleen Calvert)but she loved the best being around her admirers. (I had more boys for friends than girls when I was young, too. Funny that we three wee that way!)