In many ways Scarlett seems to believe that the end justifies her means. Do you agree with her in that? Is there anything she did that you believe didn't need to be done in order to suceed?
While answering think about when she made everyone do things on the plantation that they didn't want to do, her marriage to Charles, her marriage to Frank, her marriage to Rhett, etc.
I am woman....hear me roar.....
9 years ago
3 comments:
She did a lot of things she didn't have to do.
I do NOT think the end justifies the means.
I did sympathize with her marrying Frank because I believe she was right that it was the only way to save Tara but at the same time Frank deserved to be with someone that loved him.
Actually I'm not sure if her sister did or not though.
I think she did have to make everybody work on the plantation. That was justified. They wouldn't have survived if that wouldn't have happened.
I understand why she felt like she had to go to all these desperate measures but no, the end does not justify the means. Her marriages were so selfish and mean, to the men she married and to the women she stole them from. She always jumped so impulsively. Her marriage to Charles served no purpose at all. At least with Frank she was saving Tara, although I still hated her for it, but with Charles she was just nursing her own wounded pride. It didn't bother me that she was shrewd in her business dealings but taking the same approach with people is a problem.
I felt sad that she married Charles to get back at Ashley...but she did give him some happiness thinking she really loved him before he died. And little Wade was born. With Frank she lied and married him to get the money to save Tara. She knew of no other way as she had gone to Rhett first but he couldn't help. She did make a committment to make Frank as happy as she could and to treat him sweet (although she didn't always do that) because he had saved Tara. And little Ella was born. And Rhett...she married because he asked her to and he made her feel so good and that he would also provide money so she would never have to worry about that anymore. The worst things she did, I feel, was to hire prisoners to work in her lumberyard and be treated so badly and to make friends with the Scalliwags and Carpetbaggers. The end doesn't always justify the means but she did provide some happiness and security by some of her decisions.
Post a Comment