Reality TV has been a part of the entertainment world since the early days of television (Candid Camera, Miss America pageant) but in the 21st century three has been a tremendous growth of competitive shows and survival shows. Discuss this phenomenon with respect to The Hunger Games. What other aspects of our popular culture do you see reflected in this story?
3 comments:
I am not really sure but I think people get bored with their own lives and want excitement from watching others do things that are dangerous, exciting, over-the-edge, and that depict hate, distrust, lying, deceit, loose morals, violence, and living on the edge.Many of our video games, movies, T.V., music videos, etc. depict many of these aspects that provide "entertainment" for others...or maybe, the chance to live on the edge through others.
I do think of different reality shows as I am reading these books. Thank goodness our reality shows don't end with people dying... but you do read that most of them are manipulated. I don't know if that is true or not but it makes sense. For example, Big Brother and the Bachelor. I have read a lot lately that they feed the houseguests (BB) things to do and say and try to get them to add drama. While this is what most people watch for I find it kind of disturbing. I am kind of the opposite. When someone is on one of these shows and is the one causing all the drama I want them gone. I don't think I like to watch all the drama. And yet, I watch, so maybe I do.
On the Bachelor shows and spinoffs I think they get bachelors that have girlfriends and agendas on purpose and then act like it's a huge surprise. Every season is the 'most dramatic ever'!
I think these shows are popular for a lot of different reasons but mostly because you watch these crazy people and it makes your life less dramatic and crazy.
I think the Hunger Games gives it some perspective. What does it say when we get our entertainment to the detriment of others?
LOL, Cheryl! I imagine Chris Harrison's voice for the "most daramatic ever"! After talking with Stephanie and Mom about TV shows and movies, I have been making an effort in my own home. We have gotten rid of 'r' rated movies, and even some 'pg-13' that don't have good messages. Even some reality shows that we watch now, I have just gotten tired of it. So many 'f' bombs being blocked out. We all know what they are saying.
I don't think that it would ever get to where we kill people on reality shows, but they are getting worse and worse. Sex, swearing, lying, duplicitness, so many bad things on reality TV.
Post a Comment