Tuesday, August 16, 2011

relationship changes

In what way does the relationship between the young heroine and Maxim change during the months after their arrival to Manderley?

3 comments:

The Kings said...

She felt so afraid and powerless when she came to Manderly as she felt Rebecca in everything and everywhere. The servants and eveyone talked about what a magnicficent and entertaining woman she was. She felt like Maxim still loved Rebecca and that she could not measure up in anyone's eyes. When she found out that Maxim actually hated Rebecca then she almost shouted with joy that he did actually LOVE her! It changed her feelings about everything.

Cheryl said...

He seemed to completely ignore her. In the months after their arrival I tended to really dislike Maxim. He wasn't really there for her, he made fun of her and laughed at her and treated her like a child.
In many instances I kept hoping she would leave him and go be with Frank.

Seth and Julie said...

He was a jerk! I know he had so many ghosts hanging over him at Manderley but he should have realized how much she was suffering too. I am not sure why he would have ever taken her there?