Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Maxim de Winter

What kind of character is Maxim de Winter, and why does a man of his stature fall in love with the young heroine? What draws him to her?

3 comments:

The Kings said...

Maxim was a very wealthy man who could pretty much do what he wanted but there was a sadness (and fear) that seem to be around him at times. Sometimes he seemed a little gruff. Meeting the heroine was like a breath of fresh air as we learn more about the kind of person Rebecca was. Here was a young girl pretty and humble, innocent,true and good.

Cheryl said...

I agree. I didn't know if he was really in love with her at first but I think he loved her because she was everything Rebecca wasn't and had none of her qualities.
He seemed to me to be a slightly arrogant man. Anyone who loves him will hate me when I say that he reminded me of Edward from Twilight. That book kept popping into my head as I read this book... from the gruff guy to the girl that loves him no matter what, to the not caring that he killed someone because she loves him so much, etc.....

Seth and Julie said...

I think so much of what we saw of Maxim was a facade and that he also felt very vulnerable and weak after what he had been through with Rebecca. I think he fell for the second Mrs. DeWinter because he could trust her. She was not interested in his money or power and I think he felt like maybe they could have something real and that it could heal some of the pain he had experienced. I do wish he would have showed love to her more openly though and recognized how hard her situation was.