Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Maxim's revelations

How, if at all, do Maxim's revelations change your attitude toward him? Did you feel relief upon first reading his confessions? Can you sympathsize with his predicament, or do you censure his actions? What do you think of the heroine's reaction? In her place, how might you have reacted?How does this new knowledge alter the heroine's behavior and her sense of herself?

4 comments:

The Kings said...

i felt sympathy for him but also felt bad that he had resorted to murder and hid it all that time. I did not dislike him for what he had done and was glad that he finally was forced to talk and share with his wife what had happened. In her place I would have been shocked...I am not sure how I would have reacted...but would have been worried, as she was, about what might happen once this was out. Because she then knew that Maxim did not love Rebecca gave her confidence and such a sense of relief to know that Maxim did love her and that she was not in competition with Rebecca anymore.

Cheryl said...

Oh man. I understand how evil she was and that in that moment he felt like he had to get rid of her but I kind of worry about stories like this romanticizing the idea of killing ones spouse because they are bad.
I do not think I would have been told this news and been like, "That's okay. I am so glad to know you didn't love her and you love me."
I find that kind of strange. Again... twilight ish
I don't think he should have killed Rebecca. And I was torn between not wanting him to get caught and thinking he was a bad guy.

The Kings said...

I liked your comment. And now that yu suggest the "Twilightish" connection I can see that. It really does suggest that thought that whatever you did is justified because I know you love me now...and I love you no matter what.
I liked all your comments but wanted to reply on that one!

Seth and Julie said...

I was also torn! I understand that Rebecca was awful and I think it is true that even in death she won. She got the best of him, she drove him to the edge, and instead of going out sick and frail she could go out strong and maintain her hold on him for the rest of his life. So of course you end up hating her and almost understanding him, but still, not okay or romantic or in the end entirely justifiable. I also feel like bringing Mrs. Dewinter into his life was selfish. I am happy for her in the end that she can finally have him completely, but with so much that is so heavy hanging over them, I wonder if it would even be much relief, or if she could be completely happy?