Tuesday, August 16, 2011

No name

Du Maurier admitted that her heroine has no name because she could never think of an appropriate one—which in itself is a telling comment. What effect does it have on the novel that the new Mrs. de Winters has no first name?

3 comments:

The Kings said...

I didn't even notice until the end and then I started thinking about it and couldn't remember her name...except for her married name. So I guess it wasn't really important to the story!

Cheryl said...

I don't think it has any effect on the novel. It was funny because I didn't notice at first either and then part way through I was telling Doug about the storyline and realized I couldn't remember her name so I went back through skimming, looking for it. When I couldn't find it I looked online and that's when I found out she didn't have a name. I found it very interesting that the book is titled after the deceased character but the main character has no name at all.
I think that adds to the feeling of Rebecca hanging over Mrs. De Winter all the time.

Seth and Julie said...

I think it has a huge effect because it gives off the vibe that she doesn't even measure up to Rebecca enough to have an entire identity. I think is helps me to realize how she must have felt in that house, Rebecca was adored and she was nobody, nameless.