What is the heroine led to believe about Rebecca? In what way does the dead woman exert power over Manderley? At this point, what are your feelings about the new Ms. de Winter? Are you sympathetic toward her plight...or impatient with her lack of assertion? Or are you confused and frightened along with her?
3 comments:
I think because everyone didn't know the real Rebecca (except Mrs. Danvers, Frank, and Maxim)then everyone thought she was the most beautiful, kind, entertaining woman around. Her presence was everywhere...in the decorating, the gardens, the cottage, etc. That would have been intimidating for anyone coming to the estate as a new bride. But I do feel and was frustrated by her great lack of assertion...not wanting to make decisions about meals, etc. in her home and not seeming to want to fulfill the new duties she had as mistress of Manderly.
It was interesting how you hear all these wonderful things about Rebecca and how lovely everyone thought she was. That wouldn't be very fun to listen to and be compared to constantly.
I did feel a little annoyed at her lack of assertion. I wanted her to just say I'm in charge now and this is how it is.
I felt sorry for her. I wanted her to step up and take her role but how hard would that be? Living people can never really compete with the dead, especially when you are led to believe that the one you are "replacing" was perfect in every way. I think she may have been able to assert herself more if Maxim had had her back, but I think she felt like even he didn't think she belonged there. I was frustrated and unnerved right along with her.
Post a Comment