Tuesday, August 16, 2011

very different from Rebecca

Both Beatrice and Frank Crawley talk to the heroine about Rebecca. Beatrice tells the heroine, "you are so very different from Rebecca." Frank Crawley says that "kindliness, and sincerity, and...modesty...are worth far more to a man, to a husband, than all the wit and beatufy in the world." What are both characters trying to convey to the heroine...and how does she interpret their words?

3 comments:

The Kings said...

She thought because of what Beatrice was telling her that she was not at all like Rebecca...not as pretty, outgoing, fashionable, etc. so that made her feel that she could neve measure up. With the things that Frank said she took it to mean she was a plain and meek person and could never measure up.

Cheryl said...

She took the words badly thinking they were meant in the worst way but when Frank told her that it was the first time I really thought that REbecca must have been horrible and that Frank didn't like her.
I also noted how much Frank really liked the heroine and that's when I started wondering if she ended up with him.

Seth and Julie said...

I think no one dared openly speak out against Rebecca and so of course she thought she was being insulted, but of course they were grateful that she was nothing like Rebecca.