Skeeter's mother is a prime example of someone deeply flawed yet somewhat sympathetic. She seems to care for Skeeter- and she also seems to have very real feelings for Constantine. Yet the ultimatum she gives Constantine is untenable, and most of her interaction with Skeeter is critical. Do you think Skeeter's mother is a sympathetic or an unsympathetic character? Why?
3 comments:
I wasn't at all sympathetic toward her until toward the end. I still never really cared for her though.
I never liked her either. You would think that being ill would help you focus on your family and treat them with more love and kindness and she continued to be outwardly critical of her daughter. Even aside from the race issues, I just didn't like the way she treated her child.
How she treated Skeeter was not very nice at all...always critical of her in everything she did and how she looked.That was so demoralizing. I think she loved Skeeter but Skeeter just wasn't measuring up to her standards and getting a husband. during her illness she softened and even was glad Skeeter "let go" of Stuart because of how he treated her. And even apologized for her treatment of Constantine (which was horrible).
Post a Comment