Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Share your thoughts

What were your thoughts as you read the book?

4 comments:

Seth and Julie said...

I tried 3 times to read this book in November. I don't know why but I just couldn't get into it and I actually do like the classics. I kept putting it down and picking up something else. Then I would finish a book and try again but it just never seemed to take. Maybe I will try again if it gets good endorsements from the rest of the gang.

Cheryl said...

Julie- I do not think you are alone here. I ended up skimming a lot because I couldn't do it.
I know my mom is still struggling through it.
It's not that it isn't good... it is just...
well the way I said it to my mom is that I think it takes a whole book to say what could have been said in a few chapters.
I really liked it when I first started reading and I read the first little bit pretty fast and then it just started getting a little boring for me.
So, we'll see if anyone was able to make it through the entire thing...

The Kings said...

Yep...I am with you both! This is really a hard read probably because it just goes and goes with no chapters and so one feels they are not getting anywhere. Also, although I find it interesting in many parts I think a lot of words and pages are used to write what could have been done in much fewer chapters. I still have not finished it and have taken a break until after the Holidays and our December book. Then I will try to get back to it. I have always wanted to read it so am going to try to stick with it. It definately is different from what I thought it would be.

The Kings said...

I just finished reading the book on Sunday, the first! I am glad I read it although it was not an easy read. I liked the second part better than the first...it went faster and I was so happy that Christian's wife decided later to join the pligrimage with their 4 children! It is an "interesting" book with the use of names to depict values and strengths and sins and problems. Oh, I read a little about the author after I finished the book and found it interesting that he was put in jail (in England) several times and once for several months for writing that book and preaching "in a form not standard and accepted" by the church rules of the day.