What do you think motivated Hilly? On one hand she is terribly cruel to Aibileen and her own help, as well as to Skeeter once she realizes that she can't control her. Yet she's a wonderful mother. Do you think that one can be a good mother and, at the same time, a deeply flawed person?
4 comments:
I thought about that while I was reading it. I don't know what made her so hateful. But it is true that while Elizabeth was a jerk as well, she also treated her daughter worse than anyone. And yet Hilly , whom you can't help but dislike so much, was wonderful with her children and loved them so much.
I think most of us mothers are deeply flawed so hopefully we can be that and a good mother at the same time. But hopefully we can get by without being hateful people.
Maybe Hilly felt good at being a mother. Maybe she was comfortable with that and so it allowed her to be happy and love openly. Maybe in the rest of her life she was insecure and took it out by trying to control and bring others down.
I was also going to say insecurity. Also, I think that the world was changing and she didn't like that at all! She is a type A personality who likes control. This situation was way beyond her control.
I think Hilly was just a bolder person than Elizabeth. A bully really. She was even openly cruel and critical of her friends and then she lived in a society that told her it was okay to bully black people so she ran with it. She was just mean spirited and definitely insecure. Lots of times insecure people are very controlling of the people and the world around them. I am not surprised that she loved her babies though. I have actually known people who were incredibly unkind and self centered who were great parents. They deeply love the people that they love, but dismiss other people as unimportant. It is weird to me, because when I became a mom it became easier for me to see all people as someone's baby, but since I have known people like Hilly, I know that not all people can reach out beyond their immediate circle.
She was a loving mother to her children...totally opposite of Elizabeth...and yet was so cruel towards others and domineering of others. It was as if she wanted to control the thoughts and actions of others in everything by telling them what to think and how to act...rewarding and punishing, etc. Perhaps it was easy for her with young children as she could control them, too. I wonder how she would be as a mother of older children / teenagers.
Post a Comment