Friday, November 4, 2011

the times

How much of a person's character would you say is shaped by the times in which he or she lives?

4 comments:

Cheryl said...

A lot of it. We look back at certain times in history and think how could they have thought that or acted that way... but people will do the same for our generation I'm sure.
We all have our personal belief system but the world as a whole is definitely influenced by the times.

The Royals said...

I would say about 50%. The other 50% is done by the society around you. That could include family, school, church, social groups. History is a big part of who a person is. My parents generation has a different viewpoint on the world than I do. I also notice it at school. The younger generation is more open minded than I am-and I thought I was really open minded!

Seth and Julie said...

Yep, a lot! Every generation thinks the one before was old fashioned. The world is constantly shifting and we can really only completely understand and respond to a world that we have lived in.

The Kings said...

I think the things that are going on in the world at the time and that way you have been brought up can affect a person throughout their life. Most of the southerners were accustomed to slavery and considering the blacks inferior. It took many years and lots of lives lost and injustice committed for that to change. After WWII so many people were horrified by the treatment of the Jews but now so many people don't seem to be affected by it and even in some cases are trying to say it never happened. So many things accepted now days (many that shouldn't) were considered so wrong just 10 or 20 years ago.