Wednesday, November 30, 2011

An encouragement to believers?

The Pilgrim’s Progress is not intended as a gospel tract. Most of the story is about Christian’s journey. Bunyan intended for the story of Christian and Christiana’s journey to be an encouragement to believers and to stir the apathetic to take action and to grow in their Christian journey. Do you think he succeeded?

2 comments:

Cheryl said...

I think he did in his time period... when this was written. I think a lot of people used this book as a way to teach their children.
For nowadays I don't think a story like this would have quite the same effect.

The Kings said...

I think it was written to teach people (perhaps the younger kids) about the pitfalls that are out there that can keep them and adults) from staying on the straight and narrow path. I don't think it would work today...even though the pitfalls are the same...because I don't think many could keep reading the book. They would get too bored...so it would not have the same effect in today's fast-paced world.